Eggesford Forest (Eggesford)
It is situated off the A377.
Set in the Taw Valley, it was the site of the first trees planted by the Forestry Commission in 1919. The site chosen was Flashdown Wood on the Eggesford Estate.
Today, the forest consists of two main woods, Hilldown Wood and Heywood, which includes a magnificent Douglas fir which has been growing since about 1840.
Within the area of the forest there are the remains of a motte and bailey castle.