York Station (York)
York Station is the railway station which serves the historic cathedral city of York
It is situated just outside the City Walls, but only a few minutes walk from the city centre.
The station was built by G. T. Andrews in 1841, a very early station as befits the home city of George Hudson, the Railway King. It was the first station to have a hotel. This was also by Andrews, and completed in 1853.
There were considerable extensions in 1874 by Thomas Prosser.
The station has a magnificent 800 foot long curved train shed.
They continue to Durham, Newcastle-on-Tyne and Edinburgh.
Another runs to Malton and the coast at Scarborough.
Yet another goes to Pontefract, Rotherham and Sheffield.
There were also formerly some other branch lines. One went to Elvington and Selby, and another to Stamford Bridge, Market Weighton and Beverley.
Close by is the National Railway Museum.