Southwell Minster (Southwell)
The diocese is a relatively modern one, having been founded in 1884.
There has been a church here since the Anglo-Saxon period, but in 1108 this was demolished under Archbishop Thomas II of York in order to build the amazing Norman building which largely survives today.
Uniquely, Southwell retains all three of its Norman towers. The two on the West Front are, however, now surmounted by the instantly recognisable spires, and a large Perpendicular window has been inserted between the towers.
The usual entrance to the Minster is the Norman North West porch, over which is a chamber where the sacristan lived.
The choir dates from the 13th century, as does the chapter house, on which the one at York Minster is based.
The choir screen has over two hundred grotesque carved heads.
In the churchyard is a gift shop and popular refectory.