Portsmouth Cathedral (Catholic) (Portsmouth)
St. John the Evangelist is the Catholic cathedral serving the splendid maritime city of Portsmouth.
Portsmouth is one of the few cities to have both an Anglican and a Catholic cathedral. Portsmouth Cathedral (Anglican) is in the High Street of the area now known as Old Portsmouth.
The Catholic cathedral is in Edinburgh Road, in the Landport area which is now the City Centre.
It was built in 1882 by J. Crawley, and Joseph Aloysius Hansom contributed additions in 1886 and 1892, while the West end and porch were added by Canon A. J. C. Scoles in 1902.
The cathedral is built of deep red brick with stone facings, and has exquisite proportions within.