Broad Street (Oxford)
Broad Street is one of the major thoroughfares in the historic university city of Oxford.
Sometimes known locally as "The Broad", this street was formerly outside Oxford's Town Wall and used for horse fairs and the like.
The Sheldonian Theatre, designed by Christopher Wren, is used for concerts and degree ceremonies.
The New Bodleian Library is connected to the original library as well as to the Radcliffe Camera by a series of underground passages.
The Museum of the History of Science is housed in the building which originally housed the Ashmolean Museum.
The Oxford Committee for Famine Relief, now universally known as Oxfam, was founded here.
The Oxford Story is a most interesting attraction, telling much of the city's history in the form of a ride.
On both sides of the street are branches of Blackwells, the celebrated booksellers.
Trinity College was refounded in 1555. The college has a Baroque chapel with carvings by Grinling Gibbons, and there are lovely gardens.
Balliol College, founded by the father of the John Balliol who became King of Scotland, is one of the oldest colleges. At one time John Wycliffe was Master of Balliol.
In the roadway is a cross marking the site of the execution of the Oxford Martyrs, where Hugh Latimer, Nicholas Ridley and Thomas Cranmer were burned at the stake in 1555. The Martyrs Memorial is around the corner.