Botanic Garden (Oxford)
The Botanic Garden in Oxford belongs to the University.
The garden was laid out in 1621 as a Physick Garden, for the growth and study of plants for medicinal use, and it is the oldest in Britain.
There is a gentle formality about the Botanic Garden, and as well as the obvious native flowers and trees there are greenhouses where more exotic plants are grown.
A Rose Garden commemorates the work of Oxford researchers into penicillin.
In the garden there is a 350-year-old yew tree.
The impressive gateway was designed by Nicholas Stone and built in 1630.