John Biggs Statue (Leicester)
Welford Place is opposite the New Walk Centre, the main offices of Leicester City Council.
John Biggs and his brother, William Biggs, were 19th century hosiery manufacturers, who both became councillors and both also became Liberal Members of Parliament, John for Leicester and William for Newport on the Isle of Wight.
They were both involved in social reforms, and were instrumental in the creation of Welford Road Cemetery, opened in 1849 by William Biggs, who was Mayor at the time.
John Biggs was so loved by his workforce that after his death they contributed to the cost of the statue erected to him.
Unfortunately, this is not the original statue. That was demolished by a tram, and the present statue is a replacement.
John Biggs Statue (Leicester) is the starting point for...
|Secrets of New Walk||Saturday 2nd April, 2:00pm|
And also for...
Where is John Biggs Statue?
View a map showing the location of John Biggs Statue.
Press the 'Back' button on your web browser to return here.