Colin Crosby Heritage Tours

Blackfriars (Hereford)

The Blackfriars is a rare survival in the historic city of Hereford.

It can be found in Widemarsh Street, in a garden behind the Coningsby Hospital, which itself has a chapel of the Knights Hospitaller dating from around 1200.

The Black Friars were Dominican brothers.

The friary was built in 1322, and there is a surprising amount of the walls still standing.

Beside the friary, in what was its cemetery, is a Preaching Cross, the only one in England to have survived.

Bookmark this page

Bookmark this page with

What is

Places in Hereford...

Events in Hereford...