St. John`s College (Cambridge)
St. John`s College is one of the many colleges which collectively make up the world famous Cambridge University.
It is situated in St. John Street.
St. John`s is the second largest of the Cambridge colleges, second only to Trinity College.
It was founded by Margaret Beaufort, mother of Henry VII, who also founded Christ`s College. The building, however, did not commence until 1511, after her death.
St. John`s has a magnificent gatehouse, with a statue of St. John the Baptist (looking like a girl) over the entrance.
The famous Bridge of Sighs is part of St. John`s College, crossing the River Cam, and completed in 1831.